How to make delicious homemade potato latkes. This is a sweet potato recipe made with curry and topped off with maple-infused Greek yogurt.
2 medium sweet potatoes
1/2 red onion, minced
3/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 cup vegetable oil
6 ounces Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1. Halve and mince the onion. Then in a small saute pan over a medium high heat, saute the onion until it is translucent.
2. Clean the sweet potatoes. You don’t have to peel them but you can if you prefer. I like the texture the skin provides, but it is just a personal preference. Either way is fine. Unless you are having me over for breakfast, then you best leave them on!
3. When shredding the sweet potatoes, I do it the long way. I don’t know why that sounds dirty, but it does. Anyway, I run them through the food processor or you can use a cheese grater. What I like about the long, shredded pieces is how they look when cooked. They are all swirly and cute. Yum!
4. Next we are going to combine the eggs, flour, salt and curry powder, using a whisk.
5. In a large mixing bowl, add the sweet potatoes, cooked onions and the egg mixture. You could try to mix this with a spoon but, really, you need to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty. Luckily, I always wear t-shirts.
6. Using a cast iron skillet, heat a couple tablespoons of the oil in the pan over a medium high heat until it is shimmering.
7. Drop a heap of the latke mixture into the skillet and flatten it out, letting it sizzle. Cook it for about 2 minutes, until the edges are golden and crispy. Then flip.
8. When cooked on both sides, remove from the skillet and place on a towel to remove the excess oil.
9. To make the yogurt mixture, simple mix it with the maple syrup.
Add a gallop of yogurt to each latke and serve. I sprinkled mine with a little nutmeg for texture. Enjoy!