Morning, Tampa! Here’s everything you need to know to get this Monday started off right.
First, today’s weather:
Partly sunny, a shower; humid. High: 88 Low: 72.
Here are the top stories today in Tampa:
1. The Florida Ports Council says it can solve Pacific shipping woes and product shortages. It tweeted to not let California become “the Grinch that stole Christmas.” The council is calling on the west coast to “change their mindset.” (Fox 13 Tampa)
2. “Frenemies: Cuba and the U.S. Embargo” is set to screen at the historic Tampa Theatre in downtown on October 16th. Protesters are saying inaccurately that the film was made by communists. The film explores the complex relationship between the United States and Cuba. (Creative Loafing Tampa)
3. Gubernatorial candidate and Agricultural Commissioner Nikki Fried says Governor Ron DeSantis is “lying” about school mask data. The 3 school districts that required masks from the first day of school have more than 3.5 times fewer COVID-19 cases per student than school districts that never required masks. (Florida Politics)
4. A homeless woman in St. Pete was attacked by an alligator after officials said she fell from a seawall. She was taken to Bayfront Health Medical Center where she is now in stable condition. (Patch St. Pete)
5. Just in time for the holidays: The Biden administration has announced an investment of $1 billion to triple the amount of at-home coronavirus tests available before the holiday season. Dr. Teng at the University of South Florida says it is long overdue. (ABC Action News)
Today’s Tampa Daily is brought to you by Newrez, a leading nationwide mortgage lender. Make a smart move for your future and refinance with Newrez today. Call 844-979-1707 to connect with a Newrez loan officer. Newrez, LLC (NMLS #3013)
Today in Tampa:
- Story Time – Hillsborough County Public Library Cooperative. (9:30 AM)
- Inside the Film Studio: Film, Animation and New Media Student Films Screening from Then, Now, Next. (6:00 PM)
- Sushi and More at Publix Aprons Cooking School at University Walk Sarasota. (6:00 PM)
- Hyde Park Sweat with Bella Prana. (6:00 PM)
- LGBTQ+ Unity GAME NIGHT at First Unity Spiritual Campus. (7:00 PM)
Tampa Patch Notebook
- Hillsborough County: “#DYK: Roughly 40% of small businesses never reopen their doors following a disaster. But you can. Learn more about resources and assistance provided by @FloridaSBDCN ” (Twitter)
- City of Tampa: “Get your COVID-19 vaccine AT HOME for free! DeliveRxd Pharmacy is offering free at-home vaccines for individuals who live in Hillsborough and Pinellas counties. You do not have to be homebound or bedridden. For more information, call …” (Facebook)
- South Tampa is Awesome: “We love us some Izakaya Tori and can’t wait to hit them up again. We’re gonna try some different dishes but it’s gonna be hard to not order some of these awesome dishes we had the first time around.” (Facebook)
- City of Tampa: “TRAFFIC ADVISORY A portion of N Ola Avenue between W Palm Avenue and W Oak Avenue (near Armature Works) will close on Oct 12 due to emergency repairs to a wastewater mainline pipe. Work is expected to be completed by Oct 15. Info: ” (Facebook)
From our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Estate Planning Webinar (October 11)
- Get 10% Off Your L.L.Bean Purchase Online And In Stores (October 11)
- “Do You [Really] Know Jesus?” 3 Day Webinar Series (October 12)
- Yoga Workshop (October 14)
- ‘Evil Dead: The Musical’ By Stageworks (October 14)
- FamilyFest Tampa (October 16)
- 6th Annual HCC Hawk Run – 5K Glow Run and Walk (In person and Virtual) (October 16)
- Greektoberfest! Fort Myers – Friday, Saturday, Sunday! Greek Food, Drink, Music! (October 17)
- Add your event
That’s it for today! See you all tomorrow for another update. If you’re into these newsletters, consider bringing some friends and neighbors into the fold. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Tampa Daily? You can contact me at email@example.com.